Planning Permission in Northern Ireland

MQD ARCHITECTURE has a proven record in gaining Planning Approvals for new builds and extensions in both urban and rural settings.

We are knowledgeable with regional Planning Policies including PPS21 to offer relevant guidance with regards to your scheme. MQD offer services relating to all aspects of gaining Planning Approvals including:

  • Outline & Full Planning Applications
  • PPS21 Planning Applications
  • Representation at Planning Appeals

The following information is provided for those who want to know more about what a planning application requires

Applying for Planning Permission in Northern Ireland

The Planning System provides society with a way of controlling how we use land, what we build and where we build it. The Department of The Environment prepares and adopts documents called development plans, consisting of maps and written policies, which show where and in what quantity various types of development will be permitted.

The Department also administer a development management system to make sure that proposed development conforms to the development plan, current planning policies and other “material” considerations.

Decisions on whether to allow proposals to build on land or change the use of buildings or land are generally undertaken by the Local Planning Department however applications that raise issues of national or regional importance or on cases of a particularly contentious and sensitive nature are undertaken by the Regional Department.

In determining whether, or not, to grant planning permission, the Department will refer to a number of planning policy documents which include the:

Supplementary Planning Guidance such as

As a Basic rule of thumb: Everything inside a town, village, city etc boundary or limit is classed as “within development limits”. Everything outside of this is classed as “the countryside; i.e. PPS21”.

Any works to an existing dwelling whether inside development limits or in open countryside is determined under “homeowners” permitted development.

Contact MQD to discuss your own specific project and whether you need planning, and if so, which rules apply.